/Users/katecampbell/Desktop/Avatar Kate and Lea.jpg

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Okay, do I need to read Harry Potter?

I'm kind of embarrassed that I've never read even ONE word of ONE Harry Potter book. I've seen two of the movies and enjoyed them, but I think I have been a bit snobbish about not reading them and I'm ashamed of that. When I see how many people, including many of my students and members of my family, enjoy reading this series, I guess I should rethink my position. I have a week at the shore coming up, so I think I'll hit the library and get a couple. I'm told I need to read at least the first one, and the fifth, sixth, and seventh ones. Any other feedback?

I tend to get obsessed with series. As a kid, I read every Nancy Drew I could get my hands on (as did my daughter, who also sucked up Babysitter Club books like a milkshake). I think you start to feel as if you actually know these people. At one point I was working my way through the Sue Grafton initial mysteries (A is for Alibi, etc.) and felt like I'd recognize Kinsey Milhone if I met her on the street. My friend Cathy is hooked on Lisa Scottoline, who incorporates a heroine from Cathy's high school. So who am I to pooh-pooh Mr. Potter and Ms. Rowlings?

At the very least, I am grateful that the Potter series has encouraged kids to read. This is how people got hooked on Dickens and some other pretty important authors, after all, with series in magazines.

I'll report on my progress!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home