/Users/katecampbell/Desktop/Avatar Kate and Lea.jpg

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Catching up with this 'n that

Haven't blogged - probably no one reads this anyway!

1. I'm so glad spring has finally arrived - it's SOOO much more pleasant to get in my car for work in the daylight. I look forward to the end of the day, too, when I can put the top down for the ride home - like a mini-vacation.

2. Went to my first Phillies game of the year last night - Pat Burrell had two homers and Cole Hamels pitched well. Just love going to the ball park. I really hope the Phillie fans start treating Burrell a little better.

3. Had a nice dinner at "Pif" before the game - a cozy little BYOB in South Philly - (thanks, Brian and Paige). I just have to say that BYOBs are such a wonderful concept - you can have a really nice bottle of wine without paying a premium for it and spend your money on great food. Oh, and while we were in there, some anti-foie gras demonstrators did their thing outside the restaurant - but they were gone before we came out. I actually thought about getting the foie gras, but opted instead for a warm goat cheese, arugula, and pine nut salad and saved room for dessert - pot de creme. Had a nice shrimp with lobster roe sauce entree, too. Just enough.

4. The AP English Literature test was Thursday - kids seemed pretty happy with their performance. Most of them have other AP tests - I will be glad for them when next week is over.

5. I want to do something about the whole graduation project system - I'm sick of it being just something to get through. It's supposed to be an accomplishment, but we don't treat it like that. When I run the schools, it will be something to celebrate.

6. Graduation is in less than four weeks, so I have to get on my letter writing. I have 64 seniors this year to write letters to and I try to make them as personal as I can.

Finally, LOSTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! Just when I'm about ready to bail, they crank up a great one. I'm pretty sure Locke will survive, but beyond that I'm completely baffled. Can't wait until next week.

And, farewell to Gilmore Girls. I know the time had come, but I will miss those ladies and their assorted friends and lovers. I was pretty glad Rory declined Logan's proposal, since it showed what a self-absorbed person he is. I have always hated when people propose in public places - makes it so awkward. Last night at the ballpark a guy did it - she seemed okay with it, but I've seen times when the girl looked SO uncomfortable. And I really don't know what I want to happen with Luke and Lorelei. I will definitely be taping it so I can save it for posterity.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Probably No One is having trouble believing it's been almost a year since he graduated from high school...wow. I feel mentally and emotionally very distanced from where I was then...I guess the end of high school was sort of the starting point for the direction I've been taking since then, so it's on the same path, just not very far along.

My mom & sister were avid Gilmore Girls watchers, so I'm sure it will be missed...I liked what I've seen of it, but I have no idea what's been happening for the last few seasons.

I just started reading Steinbeck's 'East of Eden' on my sister's recommendation...I think I'll like it. I've also been re-reading Calvin and Hobbes from the beginning forward (I have all the books), and reading everything I can find about its reclusive author...he has an interesting idealistic philosophy, part of which is that there is no 'high' or 'low' art in terms of media--i.e. there is nothing qualitatively 'better' about the artistic possibilities inherent in painting or literature compared to comic strips. Being a comic strip author is an interesting combination of artist/writer/philosopher/humorist...I wanted to be one all through elementary school, and it's still an interesting subject to me.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Holly Cummings said...

Here's a story about what happened with the senior writing projects here this year: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/NEWS01/705080442/1008/PDA&template=PDA

7:32 AM  
Blogger PCJ said...

On the Girls:

I am relieved. I couldn't bring myself to give it up, for sentimental reasons. But I would've been annoyed to sit through another season with the declining writing quality (of course I totally WOULD have watched it anyway.) Now I don't have to give it up, and I get to enjoy them wrapping it all up in a neat little bow, with-- crossing my fingers here-- a note of hope and confidence in the Future of Luke and Lorelei. (You know what else is weird-- I never watched soaps but I have heard the names "Luke and Laura" from Days of our Lives(?) for most of my life, and I always think of that when I hear of Gilmore Girls' L&L. Says something about the power of television buzz.)

11:32 AM  
Blogger BookBabe said...

Daniel, bless you! I can't believe it either - I still sort of expect to see you guys in the room third period! And I think re-reading Calvin and Hobbes is a splendid use of your time.

Paige, Luke and Laura are from General Hospital, and their saga is legendary - their wedding was so big, Liz Taylor begged to be on that episode! They have been through the wringer - I think they got together when I was in college or not that long afterwards. Jeez!

Holly, I read the whole story - yeah, if they can't write by twelfth grade then we have much bigger problems than a portfolio assessment!

4:33 PM  
Blogger E.S.C. said...

What will Sebastian Bach do for acting cameos now? And will the thirty-something who plays Lane play another 20-year-old on another show? She and the girl who played Andrea on 90210 should form a support group.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home