/Users/katecampbell/Desktop/Avatar Kate and Lea.jpg

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ides of March observations

1. We finished out "high stakes" testing today - FINALLY and should have "normal" schedules from here on out - unless we get a freak snowstorm or something. The kids hung in there, but this thing has dominated our school's operations for over a month! We did feed them breakfast the last three mornings and gave them plenty of pep talks. I do believe that no child should be left behind; I really do! I just wish there was some other way to ensure this.

2. It was so darn beautiful yesterday - near 80 degrees! Had the windows open last night and nearly was catapulted out of bed by a thunderclap at 2:30 a.m. that sounded like it was right outside my window. The thing reverberated for about 30 seconds, it seemed. My heart was pounding and it took me a while to get back to sleep. But it was still great to sleep with the windows open and the cats seemed to like it, too.!

3. Um, Drexel? You made all of us who complained about you being left out of the Big Dance look a little bad with that opening round HOME loss in the NIT. I will assume it was disappointment and letdown.

4. Has anyone seen "The Riches"? Wow. It is on FX on Mondays at 10:00 p.m. (I think that will be its regular slot), which means it can have more profanity and sex than regular TV but not as much as cable. It is really kind of amazing and I don't really think I can do it justice here - before I saw it, I read that it was sort of Sopranos-ish, and it is, but it is quirkier and has Eddie Izzard (sans makeup and accent) and Minnie Driver (sans classy British accent and glammed-up look) as, well, to be honest, GYPSIES (they refer to themselves as "Travelers" but they live in sort of a commune of RVs and tents). The first episode left me kind of breathless...yeah, it's one of those "you hadda be there" deals. Do yourself a favor - if they replay the first episode, WATCH IT!

5. Baseball in just about two weeks - have I mentioned I cannot WAIT for this season?

6. Finally - the Ides of March has kind of been co-opted by "Pie Day" at our school. 3/14 - get it? The math people get to have fun with actual pies - kids walking around with all kinds of goodies. There just really isn't a snack that goes well with the Ides of March - Caesar Salad just isn't a "treat" you can share in English class, is it?

Spring springs in less than a week! Whoo-hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home