/Users/katecampbell/Desktop/Avatar Kate and Lea.jpg

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

News flash! It's HOT in the summer!

I really love the summer - I really NEED the summer to recharge my batteries. But when it is so hot, I long for cold weather when I can pile on the blankets if I'm cold. There is just so much you can take off!

We had a fierce storm last night that toppled trees and knocked out power. And I got to thinking about how the weather is kind of a metaphor for what's going on in the world - unbearable heat followed by tumultuous upheaval.

Think of all the great literature that has environment and/or weather as a factor - Wuthering Heights comes to mind - and we can understand why. When I was driving around the last two days as the temperature neared 100, I noticed that people were hostile and impatient. Last night, we were driving home from the city and it was eerily dark - power was out all over - and drivers were timid and super-cautious. I went outside to see a huge tree down in my neighbor's yard and a bunch of people who had no power were gathered - kind of a "we're all in this together" camaraderie. When we have huge snowstorms and we're all out shoveling and snowblowing, it's a festive atmosphere.

What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger BookBabe said...

Did you see the P and P version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth? I love that one - funny that Colin Firth played a guy named Darcy in another movie - Bridget Jones' Diary.

Glad to hear you did well on the AP test. I have to figure out how to get all the scores.

Also, now there is SUPER Scrabble - with more blocks and QUADRUPLE word scores!

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home