/Users/katecampbell/Desktop/Avatar Kate and Lea.jpg

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy Trails, Pat the Bat

I know, I know. Like a white shark has to swim to survive, a championship team has to constantly retool to maintain its edge.

Still, I will miss Pat Burrell. I felt very maternal towards him - even to the extent of wanting to scold him for his terrible chewing tobacco habit. I remember my dear mom and my dear late mother-in-law at a Phillies game in 1977, saying about "Deep Count" Wayne Twitchell, "Don't boo him - he's doing the best he can, bless his heart." I felt that way about Pat. I took such pleasure in his triumphs and felt actual pain when he struggled. And I especially love that he never, ever, reacted to negative feedback from the fans and the press.

We were just watching some of the World Series games on DVD and I felt pangs of regret seeing Pat's many highlights, knowing I'll be watching him in another uniform next year. I'm very happy that his last at bat as a Phillie was a double that ended up to be the winning run of the last game of the World Series.

Good luck sweetie. And, yes, bless your heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home