/Users/katecampbell/Desktop/Avatar Kate and Lea.jpg

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Postscript

Two updates to the last post:

1. Four of my juniors did not show up for school on the day the paper was due - not surprised, really. The best part is that one of them (whom I have second period) came in late. I saw him last period and held out my hands for the paper. He remarked with a weird combination of sheepishness and indignation, "I wasn't expecting to see you today." I have very little hope for this kid - absolutely no work ethic.

2. A colleague who is an excellent teacher - high standards and professionalism - had a conference with parents who take issue with her late paper policy. They called her a bitch to her face and asked her if she had heard about the kid who committed suicide when he had a bad report card. Right. Now teachers can't give the grade the child earns; WE are the ones responsible for the kids' mental health.

Please don't tell us we don't have "real" jobs. Don't tell us that standardized tests measure our competence - it isn't as though we have uniform raw materials to work with. I challenge every business person to trade jobs for a month.

2 Comments:

Blogger BookBabe said...

I am so excited for you! British Lit was always something that I dreaded, but ended up loving!

Hope I get to see you this week.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's insane. Another reason why I want to be supreme-ruler-for-a-day (or forever): I want to have the ability to smack people upside the head when they do things like drive stupidly or talk stupidly or think stupidly.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home