/Users/katecampbell/Desktop/Avatar Kate and Lea.jpg

Friday, February 12, 2010

C'mon, baseball season!

After this last snowstorm, I am even more eager for the 2010 season to get underway. Baseball - even long-distance baseball in February - means spring and then summer, and that helps keep me going through all the nastiness that late February, even in the best of years, can bring.

But part of me has this kind of sinking feeling - not dread, exactly, not even close - associated with turning on 1210 AM to hear the first broadcast of the season. Even though we've had since last April to get used to the fact that Harry Kalas passed away and his voice won't be coming through the airwaves anymore, it may just hit a lot of us pretty hard again. One of the main reasons I loved hearing that first spring training game was hearing Harry and Richie after a long winter's nap. Even after Richie passed away, we still had Harry's voice to bring us out of that hibernation.

Having said all this, I must say that I'm a big fan of Scott Franzke and Tom McCarthy, especially, and Larry Andersen, Chris Wheeler, and Garry Matthews are okay. And I'll still be excited to hear the call of the first pitch of the first broadcasted pre-season game.

But, without Harry, it's will feel a little less warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home